Principal Engineer, Storage Reliability
Note: Google’s hybrid workplace includes remote roles.
Remote location: Washington, USA.
- 15 years of professional experience in software development or 10 years with an advanced degree.
- Experience architecting, designing, and developing distributed systems.
- Experience in technical leadership and setting technical direction for engineering projects.
- Experience motivating others to act by creating a shared sense of purpose.
- Understanding of enterprise workloads.
- Ability to create a compelling vision for the future, communicate clearly, and have a collaborative leadership approach.
- Ability to take an entrepreneurial and strategic approach that drives goals and business growth.
- Passion for excellent enterprise customer experiences.
About the job
In this role, you will provide executive level technical leadership for a large organization that is responsible for the reliable operation, engineering, and evolution of Google's Cloud Storage offerings.
Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $271,000-$399,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Create and lead innovative programs, software, and analytics that drive improvements to the availability, scalability, efficiency, and latency of Google Cloud Storage.
- Work in close partnership with product leads across multiple areas, on technologies to build fast, reliable, and durable production systems.
- Drive the technical guidance and strategy for Google Cloud Platform's (GCP) product portfolio to achieve infrastructure cost efficiencies balanced with our customers' need for highly available and performant services.
- Partner with Cloud Capacity, Capital Engineering, and the GCP Efficiency program to drive platform level features that improve cost efficiency across multiple services through improved surplus management, safety stock, fungible resource planning, and pool optimizations for non-allocated overheads.
- Lead the software engineering efforts by driving architecture selection, software design, execution, and operations.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.