Senior Director, Software Development, Real Time Communication Foundation
Note: By applying to this position you will have an opportunity to share your preferred working location from the following: Raleigh, NC, USA; Durham, NC, USA; New York, NY, USA; Waterloo, ON, Canada.
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Software Development, a related technical field, or equivalent practical experience.
- 15 years of experience as a technical leader and leading technical infrastructure developer teams.
- Experience influencing multiple teams of developers, while partnering across the organization on development initiatives.
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science.
- Ability to quickly understand technical concepts and complex interdependencies of a large-scale infrastructure.
About the job
The Real Time Communication (RTC) team is responsible for Google's video conferencing and voice products: Google Meet, Google Voice, and Google Telephony Platform. Google Meet’s goal is to help consumers, educators, businesses, Googlers, and more leverage the power of videoconferencing to enhance their connections with friends, classmates, and co-workers. Google Voice is a productivity tool and essential part of the communication ecosystem.
As the Senior Director of Software Development, RTC Foundation, you will provide the technical vision, strategy, and multi-year roadmap(s) for Google’s RTC infrastructure. You will drive and land initiatives across Google with partners across engineering, product, and software teams to innovate and level-up the technology at Google (e.g., efficiency, reliability, performance, scalability, etc.). You will deliver forward-thinking and innovative approaches to anticipate and address problems that present critical long-term risks or opportunities to Google, and directly influence the technical strategy and direction at a scale that drives execution across multiple strategic business areas or cross-functional partner teams.
You will serve as the recognized leader for the infrastructure of the products. You will lead an organization that eliminates technical duplication, encourages collaboration, and supports the creation of a technically healthy, performant, cost effective, and unified infrastructure.
Google Cloud accelerates organizations’ ability to digitally transform their business with the best infrastructure, platform, industry solutions and expertise. We deliver enterprise-grade solutions that leverage Google’s cutting-edge technology – all on the cleanest cloud in the industry. Customers in more than 200 countries and territories turn to Google Cloud as their trusted partner to enable growth and solve their most critical business problems.
The US base salary range for this full-time position is $316,000-$469,000 + bonus + equity + benefits. Our salary ranges are determined by role, level, and location. The range displayed on each job posting reflects the minimum and maximum target for new hire salaries for the position across all US locations. Within the range, individual pay is determined by work location and additional factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can share more about the specific salary range for your preferred location during the hiring process.
Please note that the compensation details listed in US role postings reflect the base salary only, and do not include bonus, equity, or benefits. Learn more about benefits at Google.
- Provide technical vision and strategy for the team and a collaborative working environment, and design/lead a multi-year technical roadmap, managing short- and long-term technology investments.
- Partner with Product Management, UX, Program Management, and other Google Software Development teams to create, drive, and deliver an innovative, compelling, and user-friendly experience to customers.
- Build and lead a software development team to innovate, invent, implement, and deploy complex software solutions in a commercial, mission-critical environment with a focus on scalability, efficiency, performance, and sustainability.
- Unlock roadblocks at corporate level and cultivate collaboration with executive technologists across Google through leadership, creativity, intelligence, and presence.
- Develop and grow talent through effective mentoring, succession planning, and retention strategies.
To all recruitment agencies: Google does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to our jobs alias, Google employees or any other organization location. Google is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
At Google, we’re committed to building a workforce that is more representative of the users we serve and creating a culture where everyone feels like they belong. To learn more about our diversity, equity, inclusion commitments and how we’re building belonging, please visit our Belonging page for more information.
We welcome and encourage people who are expecting and/or parents-to-be to apply to this or any other role at Google.
Google is a global company and, in order to facilitate efficient collaboration and communication globally, English proficiency is a requirement for all roles.
Something looks off?