Student Services Specialist
North Carolina Central University
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
Due to the volume of applications received for vacancies at NCCU, we are unable to provide information regarding the status of your application over the telephone. It is not necessary to contact us to check the status of your application. Please log into your account in PeopleAdmin to find the status of your application. Upon the closing date, applications are “Under Review” and will be screened by Employment Office for the most qualified applicants. If you are selected for an interview you will be contacted.
Questions about Faculty postings should be directed to the ARMO Office.
SHRA postings require a completed application, resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a completed application.
|Position/Classification Title||Student Services Specialist|
|Working Title||Student Services Specialist|
|Salary Grade Equivalent||67|
|Appointment Type||Permanent - Full Time|
|FTE||1 = 40 hours/week, 12 months|
|If time limited, duration date|
|Career Banding Range (Employment Only)|
|Department Hiring Range||$31200 - $44,628|
|SOC Code||43-9199 - Office and Administrative Support Workers, All Other|
|Primary Function of Organizational Unit|| |
The purpose of this organizational unit is to administer all of the student financial assistance, and to coordinate all of the Title IV student assistance programs, in which the institution participates, with the institutions’ other federal and non-federal programs of student financial assistance. Our population exceeds 7,500 students with over 90% receiving financial assistance through our office. This unit is responsible for the accountability of approximately $50 million in student assistance
|Primary Purpose of Position|| |
The primary purpose of this position is to counsel students, parents and the public concerning the entire range of financial aid programs. The responsibilities of this position include determining student eligibility, advising students and parents of specific financial aid opportunities and responding to correspondence. The candidate will be expected to understand and apply federal, state and university policies and procedures and must also possess a general knowledge of the Student BANNER system.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities|| |
The successful candidate must possess a thorough knowledge of Federal financial aid regulations and programs, the need analysis process, financial aid packaging in an automated environment and the US Department of Education Title IV Delivery System; knowledge of automated financial aid database system and Electronic Data Exchange; knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access) Applications; The individual must be a dynamic, highly skilled financial aid professional. The successful candidate will provide guidance to students, parents, and prospective students regarding financial aid and other pertinent financial counseling; help the financial aid team surpass all expectations; and will participate in various activities promoting professional development.
Primary Duties & Responsibilities:
• Serves as primary point of contact for current and prospective students
• Counsels and advises students about financial aid eligibility, application procedures, aid programs, costs, and indebtedness
• Individualizes information to the particular needs and situations of the student
• Uses clear and understandable communication with students, parents, and potential students regarding financial aid counseling
• Assists students with estimating their educational expenses to calculate their needs for the year, and preparing a financial plan
• Conducts verification review for selected students according to federal regulations
• Reviews and ensures student aid awards are accurate for designated advising group
• Notifies students of changes in eligibility of awards and alternatives to amend the situation
• Uses enhanced internal and external communication systems to inform students and parents about financial aid awards and department’s policies and procedures
• Ensures compliance with all financial aid policies, procedures and regulations when reviewing financial aid applications; exercise judgment when interpreting federal and state regulations for specific student situations
• Participates with presentations of financial aid related issues
• Assists the director of financial aid in reviews and reports to ensure compliance of department with regulations
• Assists team members when necessary to enable the success of the department.
• Knowledge of Federal Title IV awards and regulations as well as FERPA.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Exceptional customer service orientation
• Exceptional oral and written communication skills. Must be able to communicate sensitive and/or complex information in a confidential and straightforward manner
Must be a creative problem solver
• Proficient user of Microsoft Office and experienced in financial database systems
• Must possess a high level of accuracy, self-motivation, strong attention to detail, and the ability to handle a heavy workload
• Familiarity with academic environment, policies and procedures
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to organize and prioritize multiple complex projects and tasks simultaneously
• Demonstrated service aptitude and ability to work independently as well as with students, parents, and colleagues.
• Must be willing to work additional hours when necessary.
Banner and NextGen/Dynamic Forms experience preferred
|Minimum Education/Experience|| |
Master’s degree; or an equivalent combination of a Bachelor’s degree and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
|Licenses or Certification required by Statute or Regulation|| |
|Equal Opportunity Employer|| |
North Carolina Central University is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, color, disability, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or status as a protected veteran.
|Work Hours||Monday - Friday 8-5|
|Position required to work during periods of adverse weather or other emergencies||No|
|Campus Security Authority Designated Position||Yes|
|Required Competency||Managing Work Processes|
Employee has the ability to identify, document, draft and provide input to proposed changes to work standards, processes and procedures for discussion with supervisor. Employee may have the ability to monitor work of student workers to assess and problem-solve.
|Required Competency||Decision Making|
Employee has the knowledge and ability to recommend approaches to solving routine problems relating to programmatic requirements or standards.
|Required Competency||Coordination - Operations|
Employee has the ability to coordinate a limited scope of work operations and processes to meet desired outcomes, including student and program work operation scheduling.
|Required Competency||Program Management|
Employee has the ability to address and resolve routine service matters referring to higher authority for issues outside standard operating procedures. They have the ability to prioritize their workload.
|Required Competency||Client/Customer Service|
Employee has the ability to develop good efficient customer relations within program area. Employee has the ability to answer routine requests, referring on-standards issues to higher authority level.
|Required Competency||Information/Records Administration|
Employee has the ability to collect and input data and perform research and analysis for supervisor’s review. They will adhere to the university, state and federal confidentiality regulations.
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
- Cover Letter
- DD-214 (for Veterans Only)
- List of References
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Explain your working knowledge of Federal Financial Aid regulations and programs.
(Open Ended Question)
- * What is your working knowledge of Banner or equivalent system?
(Open Ended Question)
- * Please explain excellent customer service.
(Open Ended Question)