Job Type: Salary, Full-time
Location: Butner, North Carolina (just outside of Durham, NC)
Annual Salary: $94,211-$104,547*
Nugget, a direct-to-consumer kids furniture brand, is looking for an experienced Mechanical Engineer to select, specify, and create manufacturing equipment in order to improve the safety, efficiency, and quality of our operation. This role will be responsible for machine conceptualization and development – from sketching out new designs, working through the development of CAD models / prototypes towards a finished product, and ultimately partnering with our Manufacturing team to ensure the equipment is ready for the floor! If you have experience as a Mechanical Engineer, are looking for the next step in your career and are excited to roll up your sleeves and rapidly innovate new solutions to make Nuggets - we’d love for you to apply today!
What is Nugget? We are an industry-leading, fun-loving, furniture company (est. 2014) that seeks to bring bold play and big imaginations into everyday life at home. We design, develop, market, manufacture, sell, and ship our part-toy, part-furniture, four-piece Nuggets all from one location, with a team of ~100 Nuggeteers, in Butner, North Carolina (just outside of Durham). And we’re just getting started — in both 2020 and 2021, Inc. Magazine named us the fastest-growing manufacturing company in the United States. We’re proud to continue the industrial legacy of North Carolina, and to make kids furniture for growing imaginations.
ABOUT THIS ROLE:
- You’ll help to improve our manufacturing processes by selecting, specifying, and implementing new manufacturing equipment.
- You’ll design and develop custom manufacturing tools and equipment from initial concepts, through prototyping, to floor-ready equipment.
- You’ll apply sound engineering processes and take a methodical approach to solving diverse design and manufacturing challenges.
- You’ll creatively make rough prototypes to fail fast and learn quickly – taking a flexible approach and applying what you’ve learned to future iterations.
- You’ll collaborate with outside vendors, providing them with detailed drawings and specifications of our concepts and following through with them to source quality parts for use in our projects.
- You’ll develop designs with other Engineering team members by collaborating in a variety of formats (on paper, whiteboard, in conversation, in CAD, and in the shop) and flexibly solving problems, using a variety of tools and techniques.
- You’ll be an advocate for new R&D techniques, and continually enhance your skill set by pursuing supplementary training and skill-building opportunities.
- You’ll take ownership of our design library by developing and maintaining an organized system of design documentation.
- You’ll act as an engineering service provider, helping our team to execute our projects while also being a resource for other departments.
- You have 5-7 years of mechanical design experience, with active involvement in the design and creation of equipment and/or products.
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or similar educational background.
- You have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of engineering.
- You have experience prototyping equipment utilizing a variety of processes such as t-slot framing systems, machining, 3D-printing, laser, waterjet, and plasma cutting.
- You are a skilled CAD designer with expertise in designing, modeling, and developing 3D CAD models and assemblies using Solidworks. You are able to integrate supplier’s CAD parts, test functionality and iterate your design along with physical prototyping.
- You have demonstrated success in producing accurate, readable, industry standard drawings ready to be shared with outside vendors.
- You are able to manage ambiguity well – working flexibly within a rapidly changing environment and pivoting when new information or objectives arise.
- You enjoy coming up with innovative and creative solutions, and can produce a wide variety of potential ways to approach a problem that are new, better, or unique!
- You proactively and quickly learn through experimentation when tackling new challenges, approaching them with a positive mindset and using both successes and failures as opportunities for future growth.
- You bring an open-minded and objective approach to evaluating options and designs, considering the whole picture, evaluating pros and cons, and demonstrating good judgment when making recommendations.
- You are an analytical thinker with the ability to identify and analyze complex problems, zero in on the root cause of an issue, and develop effective solutions using a systematic approach.
- You approach work with a “no job is too small” attitude, and have a curious mind - always willing to learn and grow your imagination.
- You are passionate about both making things and figuring out how to make them work – and get excited about designing and tinkering with all different kinds of things.
- Physical demands – This role requires the ability to switch between sitting at a computer and sometimes standing, walking, bending, reaching, ascending and descending ladders, and moving objects (up to 50 lbs).
- Competitive Pay + Annual Company Bonus
- Medical, Dental, and Vision covered at 100% for employees
- PTO, Holidays, and Winter Break
- 401k Employer Match
- Paid parental leave
- Free Nugget + Team Discount
*Our compensation philosophy:
Here at Nugget we don't negotiate compensation. This comes from research that shows negotiations often result in arbitrary differences in pay – not based on differences in ability, but based on who is better at negotiating. For that reason, we like to offer the amount upfront that we believe is fair for the job, rather than offer a lower amount that builds in the expectation for negotiating. To add a bit more context, our process is centered in industry data, which factors in our stage/size of company, job classification, experience and skill, to make sure that we have fair and transparent numbers for our regional market.
Nugget is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, actual or presumed belonging to an ethnic group, or any other legally protected status. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please let us know.