Assistant Director of Career Development and Internships
William Peace University, Raleigh
|University Information:|| |
William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.
|Department:||Academic and Career Advising|
|Purpose of Department:|| |
The Office of Academic and Career Advising provides academic advising for traditional undergraduates and career development for all students and alumni. As part of the Center for Student Success, the office supports goals outlined in WPU’s strategic plan and commits to fostering an inclusive environment to support the success of all students.
|Summary of Position:|| |
Reporting to the Director of Academic and Career Advising, the Assistant Director of Career Development and Internships provides comprehensive career development programming and counseling to undergraduate students and alumni. The Assistant Director oversees the majority of the internship program including (but not limited to): employer development, student engagement, paperwork management, instructor support, and annual program evaluation/improvement. The Assistant Director assists the Director and team with other student services as needed. The Office of Academic and Career Advising supports goals outlined in WPU’s strategic plan and commits to fostering an inclusive environment to support the success of all students.
|Essential duties and responsibilities:|| |
● Manage the internship program including employer development and internship site development, student engagement, paperwork management, instructor support, and annual program evaluation/improvement. Teach one section of PDS 490 Academic Internship per academic year.
● Provide career counseling for students to determine individual goals related to their academic path and career direction including determining relevant major options; helping students understand their abilities, talents, skills, and interests; providing career assessments and interpretations; and discussing job search strategies, resumes, cover letters, and interview skill development.
● Develop strategic relationships and partnerships with employers to increase internship and employment opportunities for students and alumni.
● In collaboration with the Academic and Career Advising team and other campus partners, coordinate on campus recruiting, career fairs, and employability programs for students.
● Plan, schedule and deliver presentations on career development topics (resume writing, interviewing, networking, job/internship search, etc.) to students, alumni, faculty, or other populations as needed.
● Assist with the management and maintenance of Internship and Job Search database system, Handshake.
● Assist with university-wide retention efforts, conduct student outreach, assist at-risk students, and partner to support registration efforts.
● Maintain student records and adhere to all FERPA standards and other University policies.
● Refer students to other university departments as necessary.
● Serve on relevant committees as assigned.
● Work effectively with a diverse population of students, employees, visitors, and guests.
● Partner with the Center for Student Success staff to promote student success.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
|Minimum Qualifications:|| |
Master’s degree in Counseling, Higher Education Administration, or relevant field with three years of career services or similar experience.
|Preferred Qualifications:|| |
Experience with internship, cooperative education, or employer relations in a higher education setting and/or industry recruiting experience.
|Hours per week:||Full Time|
|Job Posting Date:||07/21/2023|
|Priority Deadline Information:|| |
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Unofficial Transcripts
- Letter of Recommendation