William Peace University, Raleigh
|Position Title:||Area Coordinator|
William Peace University is a nationally-ranked, award-winning institution located in one of the best cities in the United States in downtown Raleigh, NC. WPU provides a culture that values diversity, fosters an energized team environment, builds on our strengths, promotes creativity and innovation, and encourages inclusiveness, respect, and open communication by leading with our actions. Our mission is to prepare our students for careers in the organizations of tomorrow. The ideal candidate will have the ability to embrace the five core values, mission, and vision of William Peace University. Join our team and see why William Peace University was voted one of the Triangle’s Best Places to Work in 2017! Follow your passion and make an impact at WPU.
|Purpose of Department:||
The Department of Residence Life and Housing is committed to supporting the mission of William Peace University by fostering a safe, engaging, and vibrant living experience for students that celebrates diversity and inclusion, cultivates personal development and learning, and prepares students to be responsible and contributing global citizens.
|Summary of Position:||
The Area Coordinator is a live-in professional who is responsible for the overall operation of a residential area on or off-campus with two or more buildings which house residents. Duties include facilitating educational programming and community-building; adjudicating student conduct cases; participating in the selection, training and supervision of paraprofessional staff; assisting students with personal needs; enforcing policies; facilitating housing assignments; managing area occupancy; overseeing the facility management of the buildings; and maintaining an environment that is conducive to living and learning.
|Essential duties and responsibilities:||
● Assist the Director of Residence Life and Housing and the Associate Director of Residence Life and Housing in the implementation of all programs and operations set forth in the written goals and objectives of the Residence Life department, which support the mission of the Student Services division and William Peace University.
● Develop and oversee implementation of community-based social and educational programs for residential students. Collaborate with other student life staff members in providing quality educational and social programming for students throughout campus.
● Participate in the selection, in-service training, and evaluation for all paraprofessional staff within the residential system.
● Develop and oversee implementation of the Pacer Success Series in collaboration with the Center for Student Success.
● Adjudicate policy violations as detailed in the Student Handbook and Community Code of Conduct, exercising appropriate professional judgment and ensuring due process.
● Maintain the Resident Assistant Resource Room in collaboration with Area Coordinator of Upperclassmen Communities
● Become an active, engaged, and prominent member of the university community
● Share scheduled daily, weekend, and break duties with other Area Coordinators as assigned by the Director of Residence Life and Housing.
● Maintain confidentiality of student records, personnel matters, disciplinary matters, administrative assignments, budgets, and other sensitive information.
● Manage critical incidents/resident interventions and communicate all pertinent information as appropriate.
● Serve in an on-call rotation including holidays and break periods.
● Act independently in appropriate areas of responsibility, including room changes, facility fines, and lost key charges and replacement process.
● Maintain weekly office hours per the guidelines of the Director of Residence Life.
● Develop an effective working relationship and maintain open communications with all Student Services offices as well as Facilities Services, Business Office, Food Services, Registration & Records, Enrollment Services, Public Safety, Information Services, and other faculty and staff.
● Manage physical aspects of residential facilities and maintain communication with facilities and housekeeping staff, including coordinating residential facility opening and closing.
● Manage the First Year Housing Application and Assignment Processes
● Assume responsibility for collateral and summer assignments within Residence Life as assigned by the Director of Residence Life (i.e. RA training and development, housing operations, RA selection, residential education).
● Represent the Student Services division on university committees as assigned.
● Coordinate special projects as assigned.
● Work effectively with a diverse population of students, employees, vendors, visitors, and guests.
● Perform other duties as assigned.
Bachelors’ Degree in relevant field and 1+ years of professional work experience in programming, student conduct adjudication, mediation, supervision, advisement, or crisis response. Strong oral and written communication skills and competence in Google Suite Applications. Ability to manage collaborative relationships and critically think through complex decisions
Master’s degree in Student Affairs/Higher Education or related program with coursework/experience in a combination of the following: educational programming, student conduct adjudication, mediation, supervision, and advisement.
One or more years of experience in student services or affairs in higher education.
|Hours per week:||Full Time|
|Job Posting Date:||08/29/2023|
|Priority Deadline Information:||
Priority consideration will be given to applications received by the Priority Date; however, applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Letter of Recommendation